University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of ACES
ACES Academic Programs
Give to ACES

Resources for International Students


  • The Academics Guide from ISSS will answer questions about the U.S. academic system.
  • Communication (CMN) 101 – When enrolling, note there are sections of this course reserved specifically for international students. We encourage you to enroll in one of these sections.
  • Enrollment Certification can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar, if you need to show officially that you are a registered student.
  • Part-time Enrollment – International students must first request and be approved for less than full-time enrollment from the College of ACES using either the Part-Time Request for Graduating Seniors or for All Other Students, found on our Forms and Petitions page. Then students must also request from and be approved by ISSS to be less than full-time.

Adjustment to Campus


The campus Career Center offers assistance to international students through INTL connect. The Center also offers the INTL Career Certificate Series.


  • In order to better serve the university community and enhance the overall student experience, ISSS is implementing a new program called ISSS35. This all-encompassing initiative will have 35 events addressing four distinct areas: American Culture, Cross-Cultural Connections, Community Connections, and Immigration Issues. These categories will incorporate educational, social, and cultural exchange themes.
  • Global Conversations - Illinois Street Residence Dining Hall, Thursdays from 6-7 p.m. This is a weekly conversation group for international and domestic students to chat, make friends and learn from each other.
  • iCU OIIR Intercultural Dialogue Series - Every Wednesday night from 6:30 to 7:30 pm at the Asian American Cultural Center (except where noted). Open to all students to engage in an activity with a diverse audience, related to a variety of cultural topics.
  • Calendar of International Student Programming
  • Listing of all events, from the Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations (OIIR).

Language Assistance

Visa Questions

All visa questions should be answered by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).