University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of ACES
ACES Academic Programs
Give to ACES

Class Registration & Attendance

Information about class registration can be found at the university's Office of the Registrar

Class Attendance and Absence

Regular class attendance is expected of all University of Illinois Students. Most class attendance questions are addressed in the Student Code 1-501. It is generally a good idea to speak with your professor or TA about their own class absence policies, including extended absence policies. A student may notify the Student Assistance Center in the Office of the Dean of Students if they will be unavoidably absent from class because of illness, death in the family, or other emergency for three days or more. For questions about missing final exams, speak with your professors and review Student Code 3-201.

Registering for Classes

Before registering for classes it's a good idea to meet with your academic advsor to discuss your course choices and review your degree audit to make sure you're meeting degree requirements. You can review courses available for the semester you are enrolling using the Schedule section of the Course Explorer, you can also view general education requirement classes in the GenEd REQs section. When you're ready to enroll you can do so by logging into Self Service.

Unable to enroll in a course

If this is your first semester at UIUC, you have to complete a new student registration program and meet with your advisor before you are allowed to enroll. Please review the Admitted Student Checklist in your myillini account.

If you have not been enrolled at the university for more than two semesters (or one semester for international students), you may need to submit a Re-entry Petition.

If you are an ACES student and want to carry more than the normal credit load for the semester, an overload request. If you would like to take less than the normal credit load, you can submit a part-time request. Please note, there is a separate part time request for seniors in their last semester.

Adding Courses

You can add a full-semester course at any time after the time shown on your time ticket and before the end of the second week of classes see the University's Academic Calendar for specific dates.

You may not add a course that will make your credit load greater than 18 hours (an overload) without permission of your advisor and the Office of Academic Programs.

Any time you add a course after the first day of class, it's wise to contact the instructor to get permission to add the course and to find out about any assignments, textbook recommendations, changes in meeting time or place, and the like.

To add a course after the deadline, you need permission of the instructor, the department offering the course and your academic advisor. Pick up a Late Course Change Form from the college in the ACES Academic Programs office or download a PDF version and take it to the instructor, the department, and your advisor. Don't assume any permissions will be automatic -- be prepared to give good reasons for wanting to add late.

Dropping Courses

If you wish to drop all your classes before the term you are registered for has begun you may cancel your registration.

You can drop a course any time until the midpoint of the term in which the course is offered unless:

  • The drop would cause you to carry fewer than 12 hours.
  • You are trying to drop your last course - i.e., dropping to zero hours for the semester.
  • You are a freshman (fewer than 30 hours completed) and the course you want to drop is a required introductory course, such as math, chemistry, Comp. I (RHET or CMN), ACES 101, or the introductory course in your major.

In each of these cases, you must see your academic advisor before you try to drop the course.

It is wise to see your advisor before dropping any course to discuss your reasons for dropping it and the implications the drop will have for your progress toward your degree. If it's a required course in your program, be sure you'll be able to take it again before you plan to graduate. Also be aware that dropping to fewer than 12 hours will cause you to be classified as a part-time student (underload), which may have implications for your eligibility for financial aid, insurance, and scholarships.

For dropping a course after the eight-week deadline, you should first talk to an assistant dean in ACES Academic Programs and your academic advisor about why you want to drop the course. If you then decide to ask to drop the class, download the Petition to Drop a Course After the Deadline form or pick up a copy from the ACES Academic Programs office in 128 Mumford Hall, write a narrative explaining your reasons for requesting the drop, have your instructor complete and sign the estimated grade report, and have your advisor sign the petition. Then take the signed petition to the Academic Programs office.

An assistant dean will review the petition and notify you of the decision within seven to ten business days. You must continue to attend class and complete assignments in the course until you receive permission to drop the course from the dean's office.

Permission to drop after the deadline will be granted only in cases of documented extenuating circumstances.

Depending on your other enrollment and the timing, you might be eligible for some refund of tuition and fees. Questions about refunds should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, 217-333-6565.

When it comes to dropping to zero hours, the Student Self-Service registration system treats dropping your schedule to zero hours the same as withdrawing from the university, even if all you're trying to do is remove one course to make room for another in your schedule. If you're in the process of building your schedule, simply add another course before you drop the first one; this will then enable you to drop the first course and add its replacement.

If you wish to drop all of your courses after the term as begun, you may withdraw from the university. If you withdraw, you might be entitled to some refund of tuition and fees depending on the timing. ACES Students should use the Withdrawal/Cancellation Form and submit it to 128 Mumford Hall. Staff there will inform you of procedures you'll need to follow to re-enroll for a later semester.

Credit/No Credit

Students can technically place any course on Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) status. However, if a course is being used for any specific degree requirement, you will have to retake it for a letter grade if you elect CR/NC.

If you are on academic probation, you may not use the CR/NC option.

To take a course CR/NC, first talk with your academic advisor to be sure you can take the course CR/NC. If your advisor is supportive, pick up and complete a CR/NC Option form from the ACES Academic Programs office or download a PDF version. In addition, you will need to complete our Credit/No Credit Statement of Understanding and submit it with the CR/NC form. For full-semester courses, you must submit the completed form with your advisor's signature before the end of the eighth week of classes. You can find specific dates on the university's academic calendar.

College office personnel will make the change for you. Your instructor won't be notified of your choice and will award you a grade for the course as though you were taking the course for a grade. You must earn a grade of C- or better to receive credit for the course. The course will be counted in your total credit hours, but not in your grade-point average.

You may take as many as two courses per semester (one course per summer session) using the CR/NC grading option. You can apply up to 18 hours of CR/NC grading toward the minimum you need for graduation.

Please note that taking a course CR/NC is not a good way to avoid bad grades. If you elect the CR/NC option, you'll need at least a C- to get credit for the course. If you think you're likely to get a grade lower than C, electing CR/NC will actually get you a less satisfactory result than taking the course for a letter grade.

Grade Replacement

When the Grade Replacement Policy is used, the original grade remains on your permanent record and is flagged with an “R” for “replacement.” Only the grade earned in the second attempt will be included in calculation of your grade point average. It is important to note that most graduate programs, including vet schools and law schools, still use the original instance of the course in calculating your GPA, even if grade replacement was applied.

Which courses are eligible for grade replacement?

You may submit the application to use the grade replacement policy for a course in which you are currently enrolled, if you meet the following criteria.

  • you previously enrolled in the same course and received a grade of C- or lower;
  • you were not found guilty of an academic integrity infraction the first time you took the course;
  • you have not graduated since you took the course the first time,
  • both courses were taken at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
  • the credit, topic, and grade mode are the same for both instances of the course, and
  • you have not already used grade replacement for the course. (You may only use grade replacement once for the same course.)

It is important to keep in mind students can only take a maximum of four courses or ten semester hours for grade replacement, cross-listed courses must be taken in the same department as the original instance, and variable credit courses must be taken from the same number of credit hourse when repeated for grade replacement.

How to I request to use grade replacement for a course?

Intent to use grade replacement must be filed in 128 Mumford Hall during the first half of the semester in which the course is repeated (e.g., the first 8 weeks of the fall or spring term for a 16-week course or the first 4 weeks of any 8-week course).

Grade replacement forms submitted past the deadline will not be accepted without an accompanying Special Request petition detailing extenuating circumstances as the reason why the form was not submitted by the posted deadline. See Academic Deadlines for the specific date.

The full policy is available in the Student Code, and you can access the application for grade replacement from our Forms and Petitions page.

Gen ed language requirement

If you want to continue your high school language, you need to take the placement examination in that language to help determine which university course will suit your achievement level. With the assumption that one year of high school language study is the equivalent of one semester of college study, you may "place back" two college semesters and have the new course credit count for graduation. For example, if you have completed four years of high school French, you would receive graduation credit upon satisfactory completion of French 103 (second semester) but not French 101 or French 102. Students who completed the non-primary language admissions requirement via dual enrollment should consult with ACES Academics at .

Transferring Credit