Skip to main content

Taking a Course Credit/No-Credit or for Grade Replacement FAQ

What courses can I take Credit/No-Credit?

Students can technically place any course on Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) status. However, if a course is being used for any specific degree requirement, you will have to retake it for a letter grade if you elect CR/NC.

If you are on academic probation, you may not use the CR/NC option.

How do I take a course Credit/No-Credit?

First, talk with your academic advisor to be sure you can take the course CR/NC. If your advisor is supportive, pick up and complete a CR/NC Option form from the ACES Academic Programs office or download a PDF version. For full-semester courses, you must submit the completed form with your advisor's signature before the end of the eighth week of classes (see Academic Deadlines for the specific date). College office personnel will make the change for you. Your instructor won't be notified of your choice and will award you a grade for the course as though you were taking the course for a grade. You must earn a grade of C- or better to receive credit for the course. The course will be counted in your total credit hours, but not in your grade-point average.

How many courses can I take Credit/No-Credit?

You may take as many as two courses per semester (one course per summer session) using the CR/NC grading option. You can apply up to 18 hours of CR/NC grading toward the minimum you need for graduation.

Is CR/NC a good way to avoid getting a bad grade in a course?

Not really. If you elect the CR/NC option, you'll need at least a C- to get credit for the course. If you think you're likely to get a grade lower than C, electing CR/NC will actually get you a less satisfactory result than taking the course for a letter grade.

What is grade replacement?

You may submit the application to use the grade replacement policy for a course in which you are currently enrolled if you previously enrolled in the same course and received a grade of C- or lower; you were not found guilty of an academic integrity infraction the first time you took the course; and the credit, topic, and grade mode are the same for both instances of the course. The original grade remains on your permanent record and is flagged with an “R” for “replacement. Only the grade in the second attempt will be included in calculation of your grade point average. You may only use grade replacement once for the same course (for example, if you took SPAN 103 in Spring, 2013 and earned a D, then reenrolled in SPAN 103 again in Spring, 2014 and applied and were approved to use the Spring, 2014 instance to replace the Spring, 2013 grade, you could not then enroll in SPAN 103 in Fall, 2014 and be approved to replace SPAN 103 from Spring, 2014).

Students can take a maximum of four courses or ten semester hours for grade replacement. It is important to note that most graduate programs, including vet schools and law schools, still use the original instance of the course in calculating your GPA even if grade replacement was applied.

Applications for grade replacement are due in ACES Academic Programs, 128 Mumford Hall, on the midpoint of the term in which you are taking the replacement instance of the course (see Academic Deadlines for the specific date). The full policy is available in the Student Code, and you can access the application for grade replacement from the ACES Forms and Petitions website.